homestead - Re: [Homestead] Notes From The Farm (Winter 2007)

  • From: Bill Jones <billj AT harborside.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Notes From The Farm (Winter 2007)
  • Date: Thu, 01 Feb 2007 16:19:08 -0800

Marie McHarry wrote:

On 2/1/07, Bill Jones <billj AT harborside.com> wrote:

I'm a little leary of meanings that are defined by the television set.
Meanings for labels that people choose for themselves are far more
revealing.

Here are some dictionary
definitions:
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/politically%20correct

Politically correct: "marked by or adhering to a typically progressive orthodoxy on issues involving esp. race, gender, sexual affinity, or ecology."

That's certainly the old meaning that my friend John conveyed. It's a label he chose for himself. Contrast this with Lynda's use:

"It is kinda the same old thing as with the Indians and the soldiers. When the Indians attacked it was a massacre. When the soldiers attacked it was defending. Semantics to sway the public opinion!

So, it isn't errors in Carter's book, it is folks that want history written their way and get bent out of shape when someone doesn't stick with the current PC version of history."

I think maybe she meant to say the "textbook" version of history. As Lynda says, we've been told that arabs and indians were to blame for everything. The progressive "PC" view would presumably be more open-minded.

American Heritage Dictionary: "Showing an effort to make broad social and political changes to redress injustices caused by prejudice."

Bill