homestead - Re: [Homestead] Swamp, was This and That

  • From: "Gloria Morris" <gloriamorris59 AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Swamp, was This and That
  • Date: Thu, 1 Feb 2007 19:44:15 -0600

On 2/1/07, Marie McHarry <mmcharry AT gmail.com> wrote:
OTOH, I love
having flowers outside, and most years, I have really nice ones. My
mother and grandmother grew (and in Mom's case continue to grow) a lot
of their own food, and their flowers were and continue to be gorgeous.

I grew up in a gardening family. We always had a large garden and did
a huge amount of canning. We also canned local fruits that we didn't
grow. We made jerky, baked bread, made our own ice cream, etc. We
didn't call it "homesteading," that's just how we lived. We also had
flowers. Mom had a beautiful rose garden at one point. Now her flower
garden is a diverse blend of perennials and annuals. My grandparents
had a very self-sufficient, old-style farm. My grandma had flowers. I
have carried on the love of gardening, canning, making all manner of
things at home from scratch, etc. But I too love flowers, and to me,
flowers say "home."

Hope you feel better soon, Marie!

Gloria