homestead - Re: [Homestead] The Future of the Web

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] The Future of the Web
  • Date: Tue, 09 Jan 2007 19:45:22 -0500

Gene GeRue wrote:

I think much of the Internet will remain free. The price is a computer and connection plus time. Yes, entrepreneurs will try to lure us to use their sites and pay for the privilege, but I think huge international competition will keep it under control.

It's not just the entrepreneurs, it's all the other stuff like the iPod craze and music downloads that interconnect things. Soon, manufacturers will no longer ship manuals at all, it'll be extra cost download. You won't be able to walk in anywhere and pay bills the old fashioned way, it will *have* to be done electronically. Already, the IRS is moving that way for tax filings. It's all coming to a merge of technologies and uses and central to everything is the computer. Everyone assumes that everyone else has one already, and that everyone connects at the same speed, has the same software, etc. IMO, the computer is becoming more of a tool for mass unification to get everyone on the same wavelength, with the same knowledge, with the same requirements...it's a cascading domino effect and the first domino has already been pushed over. For me, it's only a matter of time before I opt out of the game, I think.

Bevanron of EarthNSky Farm Sleep well tonight, for somewhere in the ocean's depths, MY son is protecting YOUR freedom.