homestead - Re: [Homestead] The Future of the Web

  • From: sanrico AT highdesert.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] The Future of the Web
  • Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2007 19:45:22 +0000 (America/Los_Angeles)

On Tue, 9 Jan 2007 16:37:37 -0800, tonitime AT juno.com wrote:

> Sandy,
> I think that all we CAN do is be local or regional activists these
> days.......taking care of community and getting involved in one or many
> ways.

Hi, Toni -
Coincidentally, this just in from another list:

"...I hope a shift continues, that more of our economy is tied up in computer
technology and the exchange of information, IF that leads to a corresponding
decrease in the percentage of our economy that is tied up in cars and roads.
The new millennium, while it supposedly gives us the option to live and work
anywhere remotely, may actually give us the option to live together again."

It eludes me, sometimes, that the web is a...community, of sorts. I just keep
getting that larger concept mixed up with the physical-proximity thing. The
boundaries keep getting all muddy.
You're so right about the same people volunteering over and over. In our rural
area here, there is one lady who stands way above the crowd...President of the
Chamber of Commerce, real estate broker par excellence, organizer of the
Fourth
of July Parade and the annual Pistachio Festival, etc. She even, with about 10
days notice last year, put together a multi-cultural festival in her own front
yard, complete with folk dancers and ethnic food. She did this because she
decided it was a nice idea. We need more of her everywhere!

Best i can do about big biz or gubmint, is say my prayers, put out
> intention and talk, try to walk the talk (except participating in such as
> moveon.org). It is so out of our control now.

I would politely say, no, I don't want to believe that. By even discussing all
this, we're taking control of 'our own'...lives, ideas. future. I'm not a
'joiner', either. I'm thinking The Little Engine That Could.

All I need now is a new coat of paint.

Sandy
P.S. I like your phrase, "A tithe of time"..can I use it?!