homestead - Re: [Homestead] The Future of the Web

  • From: tonitime AT juno.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Cc: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] The Future of the Web
  • Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2007 15:36:32 -0800

Berea is called a Christian college, but they do not force this upon the
kids - rather embrace diverse ways to show these kids the greater world
(many have never seen other ways at all). Christianity isn't required,
and they go far to award scholarships to folk from different lands with
various beliefs. The required convocations the students attend further
show them diversity in the arts, cultures foreign, and the finest
lecturers that go around. It is a place the Dalai Lama has gone to
educate........monks were there for quite awhile doing their glorious
sand paintings. I so appreciate getting my one daughter back to more
diversity such as she grew up with in her earlier kidhood our on the Left
Coast. The girl was missing people of color out here in the hollars ;-)
My younger one will head there, as well, with her 4.0 and community
service. It makes a Mom of intention glad to see their ed furthered in
such surroundings.....like winning the parental lottery!
Our kids do not really have to work for this scholarship, as it is only
10 hrs. per week, for which they are paid low wages. It gets done what
the school needs, teaches a work ethic that many do not have, and gives
them some pocket money or book money. It allows some to pursue work in
fields they may be interested in for the future. It was the 1st
abolitionist school, from what i heard........touchy stuff in a state
that went both ways. the students actually built the college from the
start!
Waaaaaay cool.
Toni