homestead - Re: [Homestead] The Future of the Web

  • From: sanrico AT highdesert.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] The Future of the Web
  • Date: Tue, 09 Jan 2007 18:43:26 -0800 (PST)

On Tue, 09 Jan 2007 19:45:22 -0500, EarthNSky wrote:

> Gene GeRue wrote:
>
> > I think much of the Internet will remain free. The price is a
> > computer and connection plus time.

Unless you're a university. Or a branch of the government. Or a hacker. We
(Toni's Little People) will be paying for 'all that'. I can't bring myself to
think of me as a Little Person, though. Maybe an almost-too-late-on-the-scene
medium sized one...or else my self-esteem goes kerplop! It's just disgusting
think that our beloved web might be morphing into just another (all-consuming)
branch of The Media.

> >Yes, entrepreneurs will try to
> > lure us to use their sites and pay for the privilege, but I think
> > huge international competition will keep it under control.

Ummm...I'm not too worried about the entrepreneurs, per se, since 99% of them
go
down in flames. My worry is - what international competition? If and when this
'global economy' comes to full fruition, who will we be competing against?

> It's not just the entrepreneurs, it's all the other stuff like the iPod
> craze and music downloads that interconnect things. Soon, manufacturers
> will no longer ship manuals at all, it'll be extra cost download. You
> won't be able to walk in anywhere and pay bills the old fashioned way,
> it will *have* to be done electronically. Already, the IRS is moving
> that way for tax filings. It's all coming to a merge of technologies
> and uses and central to everything is the computer.

And central to the computer (soon - hide and watch) is the central government.
I'm certainly no anarchist, but the stuff going on 'out there' is kinda scary.

Everyone assumes
> that everyone else has one already, and that everyone connects at the
> same speed, has the same software, etc. IMO, the computer is becoming
> more of a tool for mass unification to get everyone on the same
> wavelength, with the same knowledge, with the same requirements...it's a
> cascading domino effect and the first domino has already been pushed
> over.

I shake my head remembering my initial enthusiasm for putting 'chips' in all
our
kids, to keep them "safe". Only the other day some boob (Boob Tube?) on TV was
saying what a splendid idea this is. Think about it. In a few years, you've
got
several generations of grown folks who are trackable every time they (pardon
me)
fart. Someone, somewhere, will know when they did it, why they did it, and how
long it lasted.

For me, it's only a matter of time before I opt out of the game,
> I think.

And I'm sure you won't be alone, Bev. I can picture myself doing it, but not
until I wring every drop of usefulness out of what I've got (or can someday
get).
And Gene's right about a balance...but I think there will also be a balance
between the BASICS, which will ALWAYS be there (food, shelter, companionship
of
the like-minded) and the flash-in-the-pan 'suits' who waddle and squawk and
think
they're planning our lives for us over three-martini lunches (is that done
anymore?).
Who was it said, "Mankind will progress himself to death?"

Sandy