homestead - [Homestead] Tvo post for Bev

  • From: Rob <becida AT comcast.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Homestead] Tvo post for Bev
  • Date: Tue, 09 Jan 2007 17:21:46 -0800

Date: Thu, 25 Feb 1999 19:52:36 -0500
Sender: owner-homestead AT listserv.oit.unc.edu
From: Tvoivozhd <tvoivozd AT roanoke.infi.net>
To: homestead AT listserv.oit.unc.edu
Subject: Re: Those crazy Finnlanders.

Bevanron wrote:

> Tvoivozhd wrote:
> >
> > > -
> > > Bevanron of Rock Creek
> > > erthnsky AT bellsouth.net
> > > SISU!

> > category is the indelicate Russian phrase, "srumsya nye podumsya"
>
> You see Tvo, the poor Russians try to emulate the Finns in their
> persistentness...but, we scare them so...<g> They just don't have the
> gonads or the self control!<VBEG>
> ...My ancestors actually moved into what is now Lappland, Finland from
> the area that is now the Baltic states and prior to that,
> Siberia...Ghengis Khan chased them all the way across Asia to the
> Baltics before they made a stand there...The great Khan turned tail and
> went home. A true Finn chooses not to fight, but when he has to, look
> out!
>
> Bev of the Kuivala clan from North of the Circle...<G>
>
> --
> Bevanron of Rock Creek
> erthnsky AT bellsouth.net
> SISU! (Finnish--There is no single word in English that encompasses
> all that sisu means, but it combines the following ideas... guts, pep,
> determination, stubborness, perseverance, hardy, stamina, go, do, nerve,
> spunk, pluck, and grit. It's like "Just Do It!" & "Go for It!")

>>>tvoivozhd---the epicanthic fold (Mongolian eyelids) marks all those whose
ancestors spent a few thousand years on the steppes enroute to Lappland from
Africa. Among these are a high percentage of all Nordics in the first wave whose
fingers reached down the Danube to the Black Sea, to Scotland, North Ireland, and
Normandy.

I tell you, they are a damned nuisance. Fine for a thirty five year life span and
protecting the eyes from the arctic sun and snowblindness, but in Virginia