homestead - Re: [Homestead] Geese

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Geese
  • Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2006 10:15:53 -0500

Clansgian AT wmconnect.com wrote:

As far as a redeeming value, I am not one of those who deem roast
goose as secondary in quality or something to be endured.
Slaughtered and processed appropriately, then cooked appropriately,
nothing is better than roast goose. But it's a LOT of trouble.
Water fowl aren't nearly as easily de-feathered as chickens and geese
triply so because they are so big and the feathers are coarse. Once
a year will about do it.

I'll agree with that.
Our neighbors hunt geese in season, and they always bring us birds. We
have gotten to just slicing open the breast, right down the middle, and
removing only the breast. It takes less than 3 minutes to do this. You
just separate the feathers to get to the skin, slice through the skin,
and remove the thick, steaklike breast meat. The rest of the goose gets
buried in the garden. It seems wasteful to let the rest of it go, but
defeathering geese is much, much more difficult than doing a chicken or
even a duck. If we didn't take the breasts, said neighbor would just
toss the birds into the woods, and THAT is an even bigger waste.

Bev
34.498N 85.076W Bev is Earth, Ron is Sky