homestead - Re: [Homestead] 100 years ago

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] 100 years ago
  • Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2006 10:01:39 -0500

Robert Walton wrote:

We had the option to "wash-up" some days and not bathe. You just
washed your face and arms and maybe under the arms in the sink with a
wash cloth. Saturday night was the big bath time, because of church on
Sunday.

My grandfather (b 1906) ''washed up" most nights and then bathed on
Saturday night.

Shoot, I'm only 45 and we took "spit baths" or sponge baths as a kid, especially in the winter. You washed up every night and bathed once a week or so. In the summer, depending on what was happening, we tended to bathe a lot more, but I recall washing my feet in the tub before bed, and that would mean that I wasn't taking a full bath or shower every day.

34.498N 85.076W Bev is Earth, Ron is Sky