homestead - Re: [Homestead] Geese

  • From: "Gloria Morris" <gloriamorris59 AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Geese
  • Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2006 09:17:37 -0600

On 12/20/06, Clansgian AT wmconnect.com <Clansgian AT wmconnect.com> wrote:
As far as a redeeming value, I am not one of those who deem roast goose as
secondary in quality or something to be endured. Slaughtered and processed
appropriately, then cooked appropriately, nothing is better than roast goose.
But
it's a LOT of trouble. Water fowl aren't nearly as easily de-feathered as
chickens and geese triply so because they are so big and the feathers are
coarse. Once a year will about do it.

Ain't that the truth! Waterfowl are much more labor intensive to
pluck. Their feathers are waterproof, so dipping the bird in hot water
does little to loosen the feathers. I end up dry plucking the birds by
hand and then dipping the carcass in hot wax to remove the pin
feathers. Chickens are MUCH faster to pluck!

Gloria