homestead - Re: [Homestead] Geese

  • From: "Marie McHarry" <mmcharry AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Geese
  • Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2006 21:15:27 -0600

On 12/19/06, Clansgian AT wmconnect.com <Clansgian AT wmconnect.com> wrote:

> ...Poop everywhere?

Yes. But not poop as one experiences with any other farmstead animal. The
are essentially grazing birds and their poop is half digested green slime and
they leave a copious trail of it wherever they go.

If you have more than a couple of geese, the stuff can become
dangerous, causing slipping and sliding -- and extremely unpleasant if
you actually go over into it.

The Chinese geese I had were most annoying, and they became the main
course at Christmas dinner. They became so aggressive that we got into
the habit of grabbing them by their necks and flinging them to stop
their nipping at our legs and butts (for shorter folks). It didn't
stop them, but it slowed them down some. Half-grown goslings are,
however, great in the garden for weeding.

Marie