homestead - Re: [Homestead] Geese

  • From: "Marie McHarry" <mmcharry AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Geese
  • Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2006 22:55:22 -0600

On 12/19/06, tonitime AT juno.com <tonitime AT juno.com> wrote:
Marie, that just took me on a trip down memory lane! I grew up near
Visalia, below Sequoia Park in the CA Great Valley. Before the dawn of
so many herbicides, i remember great flocks of Weeder Geese set out into
those big fields on what are now mega-ranches around Fresno. What a
sight that was!

And just think of all the fertilizer those crops were getting! I've
just been reading a description of Joel Saletin's operation, which is
exquisite. I especially liked the part about salting the barn compost
with corn because pigs love fermenting corn and will dig deep to get
it. Gives you a picture of happy pigs in shit. I've never had pigs,
but my layered bedding has been keeping goats warm and happy for
years. The only problem is that at some point you have to dig it out
unless you want the barn to fill up.

Marie