homestead - Re: [Homestead] Geese

  • From: "Marie McHarry" <mmcharry AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Geese
  • Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2006 21:32:07 -0600

On 12/19/06, sanrico AT highdesert.com <sanrico AT highdesert.com> wrote:
Good grief! Have they no redeeming value to offset all these negatives?
Serious question: is all that poop completely unuseable (like chicken poop,
rabbit droppings, etc.)? How do the commercial breeders of geese deal with all
this?

They're very tasty on the table, and they're good weeders. Some geese
are less aggressive than others. They're much more tolerable in small
numbers -- like a pair or two. If you have the time, they don't
generally fight back: I remember my niece as a 4-year-old grabbing the
goose by the neck so it wouldn't bite her and dragging it around until
it got tired of that game and only wanted to go somewhere else. (This
was a child that was fearless, even of the goat that was hell-bent on
knocking her down. She's now attending the U of Chicago and playing on
their ladies' hockey team.)

Marie