homestead - Re: [Homestead] Turkeys- Geese

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Turkeys- Geese
  • Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2006 00:31:16 -0500

Each year, I budget for plants and livestock to add to the farm. This past year, I spent my entire livestock budget on chickens...some good that did...grow up 40 birds and loose most of them to predators. I still have 19 birds, though, 18 hens and a rooster.
This coming Spring, the plan is to buy turkeys, geese and a few ducks. I am reworking the old chicken coop to raise turkeys in there. I have been digging out the old dirt floor to add to my garden beds, and once that is done, I re-fence the 9x18 area and make a turkey roost. I'm not taking any chances on letting the coyotes or dogs take my turkeys this year. In the best of all possible worlds, I'd free range, but I can't take the chance on loosing money again. I'll keep the turkey poults and goslings together in the chicken/turkey tractor until they get too big for it.
34.498N 85.076W Bev is Earth, Ron is Sky