homestead - Re: [Homestead] Tone/Rip

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Tone/Rip
  • Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2006 15:09:39 -0500

I agree Rob, but I don't consider myself as having the essentials under
control. Problems arise unexpectedly and there is always some new
project that I would like to consult about.
Today is a good example.
Some of you know that I have been looking for a farm dog, researching
farm collies, Anatolians, and other guardian types. I've even looked at
getting another Elkhound as I love them so and miss Hector. Today,
possibly the perfect dog fell into my lap.
Someone let out a stray, as typical when you live out in the boonies.
It's a border collie, looks to be under 2 years old, and is THE calmest
BC I have ever seen, definitely a low energy BC. I walked him, fed and
watered him and put him in the kennel near the chickens. He is intact,
looks to be purebred, very sweet, calm, obedient (already knows sit,
lay, stay, load up, and heel and probably other commands that I haven't
discovered yet). He's not overly attentive to people (I hate that about
some BC's), yet is friendly to people who come up. He doesn't get up to
greet them, but he wags his tail as if he is just happy to have people
around. So far, he has shown no interest in herding the chickens, but
he did get a bit excited when we went to the barn and he saw the
rabbits. So far, that's the only negative. There was only one time that
I saw the infamous BC "eye", and he hasn't barked yet. He did not,
however, fixate on the rabbits to the point that he was hard to control.
I went through a laundry list of names, and he is responding to Rip, so
I think that is his name.
If Rip continues on being this calm and obedient, I think I have found
my outdoor dog. I don't want to excite him too much right now as he
still seems a bit confused and disoriented. I am going to put a barrel
in the kennel for him and then take him for another walk in a little
while. Any other do's or don'ts to acclimate Rip are welcome. I rode
around looking for Lost Dog signs, but saw nothing. Rip did not have a
collar. If all goes well, I'll take him to the vet to have him checked
for a chip and overall vetting. I have not introduced him to my other
dogs yet. I wanted to allow him some settle in time.

Bev

Robert Walton wrote:
Is it not lovely that we have such luxury? That we have the essentials under control and can spend some time ranting and
raving. Mostly ranting. We are quite good ranters.

:>) I think it is great. And some of the best ranters are on this list. Must be something in the fresh country air :>)

Actually I probably would be a good ranter if I had the energy to get
involved in a rant. I follow the rants, and actually enjoy them to a
point. I helps me to see what wavelength other homestead-minded
people are on.