homestead - [Homestead] Geese

  • From: "Robert Walton" <waltonrp AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Homestead] Geese
  • Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2006 15:38:04 -0500

Hey all,

Has anyone here raised geese? I'm thinking about starting a flock of
geese this spring. I already raise chickens for meat and eggs. I have
the goats going and hope to get milk and meat from them.

I'd like to have Pilgrim geese because you can sex them easily. If not
Pilgrim, White Embden would be the breed.

My goal would be to start with about 10 and raise them saving the best
females and a couple of males to procreate in the future. I really
would only eat a few geese a year, but maybe more if I had them.

I also figure that keeping a few geese should not be too big of a deal
as they can graze in season and seem like they'd be pretty
independant.

If I have to buy from a hatchery, this is about a $100 investment
(purchase and shipping for 10 goslings). Has anyone raised geese and
kept a flock going? Any goose horror stories ???

Rob - Va