homestead - [Homestead] Big basil and other features of a hot climate

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Homestead] Big basil and other features of a hot climate
  • Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2006 10:18:41 -0700

Upon returning here to Phoenix a couple weeks ago I found two huge rounded weeds growing in the raised herb garden. Resisting the impulse to simply rip them out of the ground I began cutting them up in chunks, the better to place into the trash container. Putting vegetative matter into a trash container is painful for me, but that is grist for another post.

Only upon whacking off three-foot limbs of the woody weeds did I discover that what I was whacking was basil! At Heartwood we grow a couple dozen basil plants each year and take the leaves for basil as fast as the plants grow enough to prune appropriately. This continues to the first frost. So I have never seen full-size basil. These things were humongous, about four feet tall and as wide, looking more like tumbleweeds than anything else in my brain's photo library. I pruned the wood down to less than a foot, saving some tiny green buds. Don't know if they will make anything or not.

The second delight was finding about a dozen baby basil plants that had become seeded from the mature plants. Again this is new experience. Basil is very frost intolerant but I might try to set an insulated cold frame over a couple plants back home to see if I can get baby plants this way.

In the same bed, which has ferrocement walls three feet tall, are two rosemary plants. One, a trailing variety, has become a gorgeous drape of green plus the tiny blue flowers which are keeping bees happy. The other, a culinary variety, had become so shaded from the giant basil that it languished, though now expanding nicely with plenty of sun.

Also still growing is a tomato plant that became so shaded it is stretched to the south for several feet until it found sun. It has some green fruits on it and plenty of blossoms, although night temps will preclude germination.

And of course the oregano, with old stems to be pruned away but magnificent fresh green stems for pizzas. Oregano is also a perennial at home but does not grow so lush after cold weather. There has been a frost here, as evidenced by black tips of some tomato leaves.

So the automatic water system paid off.