homestead - Re: [Homestead] The oil-for-dollars-only connection

  • From: "Marie McHarry" <mmcharry AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] The oil-for-dollars-only connection
  • Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2006 23:15:26 -0600

On 11/13/06, EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net> wrote:

Gosh, I know the book you are talking about-heard the author on the
radio too, but for the life of me, I can't remember either. The guy was
talking about the Iranian bourse and how we would probably attack Iran
before the Bourse began the way we attacked Sadaam...yada yada...

This is one of the problems of, ahem, aging. I used to be a walking
bibliography. Now I use Google to find stuff that I know I know, and
bookmark sites that seem really good. A friend of mine who sat for her
Ph.D. orals complained of exactly the same problem. She passed, but it
was painful.

Older people also have a harder time picking out objects in a varied
background (no shit!). I suppose without all the memory aids we all
wouldn't haven't gone to hell in the memory department (though in past
years we would probably be dead already), but knowing that it's
something to deal with at least allows us the grace of using coping
mechanisms.

Lest you feel bad personally about going downhill in this specific
aspect of memory, the whole human race has gone into the toilet as far
as memory is concerned since writing was invented. So there. I'd say
we're better off now -- well, probably. :)

Marie