homestead - Re: [Homestead] Political question, if I may

  • From: DSanner106 AT aol.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Political question, if I may
  • Date: Sun, 12 Nov 2006 21:38:52 EST

In a message dated 11/12/2006 5:52:24 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
mmcharry AT gmail.com writes:

> I believe a program allowing temporary work visas
> would relieve a lot of the economic pressure that
> results in people risking and sometimes losing their
> lives to come here and find a job.

I believe that is a part of the president's plan. You're right that we
need temporary workers -- with not as many illegals crossing the
border this year, some crops rotted. We need employer sanctions,
though, and people coming here need to know that they are being
enforced.

Marie

I agree, a plan for short term work visas would be good, but the story about
crops rotting because of fewer illegal aliens crossing the border was
planted. The vast majority of illegals who helped pick crops last year, and
the
year before are still here. A few million more were added to there roles this

year. Crop production did not drastically increase so there were enough to
handle it. Some crops rot on the ground every year due to high rainfall at
the
wrong time primarily, and a creative california news crew tied this to the
illegal alien issue. I grew up in a farm family, and can say that this is a
non-story.