homestead - Re: [Homestead] Political question, if I may

  • From: "Marie McHarry" <mmcharry AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Political question, if I may
  • Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2006 22:37:58 -0600

On 11/13/06, DSanner106 AT aol.com <DSanner106 AT aol.com> wrote:

I have to agree on this, we send people to jail for plotting terrorist
threats, plotting statutory rape is certainly no better. I think we have to be
flexible sometimes on our "rights".

We also have to have the statutes drawn clearly. Yes, we have certain
rights (and I wouldn't put the word 'rights' in scare quotes), but we
lower the bar when children are concerned. This is not to say that
children get the protection that they deserve (though we make an
effort with mandatory reporting of child abuse and other safeguards),
but we have the satisfaction of throwing the book at the assholes who
abuse them. Of course, that's how our criminal justice system works in
most cases. The alternative would be preventative detention, and we
DON'T want to go there.

Marie