homestead - Re: [Homestead] Political question, if I may

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Political question, if I may
  • Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2006 16:15:28 -0600

For those who are happy about the change of power, what do you hope the Democrats will be able to accomplish in the next two years that would
not have been accomplished otherwise?

The change in power was needed to stop the present course. I am most happy for what Bush and his liberal Republicans will not be able to accomplish: extending tax breaks while increasing government spending beyond all previous spending growth, putting us deep into debt. Masquerading as conservatives, Bush and his fellows have increased the size of government while simultaneously cutting its income. Now we all, and our children and grandchildren, get to pay a huge interest load for an indefinite period. I think Democrats will stop the tax cuts and address the inequities of the minimum alternative tax.

We have serious challenges. Social Security needs adjustments. The present condition of Medicare and disease care in toto is shameful and needs massive work that has been neglected but for a drug subsidy that helps big pharma most. Democrats will, I believe, make big pharma bid for government business. I believe they will address health care on a national level.

Many Democrats elected recently are in fact quite conservative and I believe they will more seriously address our various serious social questions while keeping a closer eye on the budget. Most seriously, I expect them to work and be productive. I believe that many Republicans who have been frustrated by partisanship and gridlock will work with the Democrats to do the work of the people rather than focusing on pandering to special interest groups. I believe we now have a bipartisan majority that will work for the American people, not for "the base."