homestead - Re: [Homestead] Feeling really stupid and old

  • From: "SISU!" <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Feeling really stupid and old
  • Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2006 20:16:21 -0400

KNat wrote:
I use 3 of them. Same as I did on my 10 speed. Right all the
way down for "uphill", both up for "regular", left all the way down
for "speed." Tip- never use just the left brake- it locks the front
wheel and causes jettison over handlebars.

Kathyann, who uses a cell phone but not the "extra features."

Hi Kathy, et al.
Since you wrote this yesterday, something has been bothering me. You
wrote "never use just the left brake" which implied that your left brake
was the front brake...weeeelllll...on my bike, the front brake was the
right brake, and this made me suspicious, but not knowing much about
these bikes and their fancy springs and brakes and such, I called in a
local expert.(neighbor kid)<g>
As it turns out, it wasn't all in my imagination after all! Whoever
assembled the bike put the front fork on backwards!!! This not only
explains the backwards braking, but why I kept hitting my feet, why my
center of balance was too far over the handlebars, and why turning was
so difficult. Tomorrow morning, I'll flip the fork around, and that
should increase the distance between the tires and give me about 3 more
inches of "pedal room".
So, thank you!! Had you not posted the tip about the brakes, I wouldn't
have known any difference and would not have made the "backward brake"
comment to my 'expert'. I knew the bike didn't feel right, but I wrote
it off to my unfamiliarity with it and my rusty riding skills. You
probably saved me from a nasty fall. I can't thank you enough!!
This is a good reason why everyone should post..you never know...that
little piece of information could be the clue to solving the puzzle!
Anyway, I can't wait to flip that thing tomorrow and see how it rides.
If I can learn to ride this thing and feel comfortable and safe on it,
hey, that's more gas money in my pocket instead of in my truck tank.
Speaking of gasoline, I was in Rome, GA today and saw gas for
$1.98/gal...it's the first time I've seen it below $2 for a LONG time.
Thought about you, Drew...

Bev
--
Bevanron in NW Georgia EarthNSky Farm 34.498N 85.076W
SISU! (Finnish--There is no single word in English that encompasses