homestead - Re: [Homestead] Feeling really stupid and old

  • From: "SISU!" <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Feeling really stupid and old
  • Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2006 18:01:08 -0400

Lynn Wigglesworth wrote:

a lesson on how to use a cell phone. What's worse, I had to drive my neighbors almost new F350 truck...a honkin' monster of a diesel truck with all the bells and whistles. I was totally out of my element.

Hey Bev; I had to drive someone's new F250 diesel a while ago. I couldn't even get it started. Who knew you had to put on the brake to
turn the key? (well *I* didn't know...I finally figured it out). I drive a 1989 F-150. Turn the key and it starts. Put it in D and it drives.

I KNOW!!!!
There were so many gear options, I had no clue. 4, 3, D, and it was an
automatic! I had to stop and look around for 2 or 3 minutes just to find
the wipers and lights. My stupid stunt was that I couldn't get the key
out when I turned the truck off! I had trouble adjusting the seat,
locking and unlocking the doors...all simple stuff...it was crazy. I
think that being in a hurry to get there and being nervous about driving
someone else's fancy truck for such a distance added to my stress level,
too. About the only thing that was familiar and that I could handle
normally was the seat belt. :)

I don't own a cell phone and hate them...the sound quality is so awful, they pick up all sorts of outside noises. Besides, I don't want people to be able to track me down in the bathroom or out in the
barn. I've managed 50 years without one.

Me too. I only took the phone because I was actually "rescuing" a
friend who had broken down in another state and I had no clue as to
where I was going or how to meet up with them without one. In the end,
I really could have managed without it, but I took it just to keep
everyone off my case regarding my safety.

I can't afford to replace things as they break down, so the world is
starting to pass me by.

I think this applies to me, too. I think that is why I feel so
worthless when I can't use something that everyone else seems to handle
so easily. It's a self esteem thing. Being poor has it's advantages,
and I really can avoid all the negatives of it as long as I am here on
the farm, but once out in the world, it slaps me right in the face as to
how poor I am or (positively thinking) how different my priorities are,
and how the world is passing me by.

Bev
--
Bevanron in NW Georgia EarthNSky Farm 34.498N 85.076W
SISU! (Finnish--There is no single word in English that encompasses