homestead - Re: [Homestead] Feeling really stupid and old

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Feeling really stupid and old
  • Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2006 16:01:10 -0500

I'm feeling really old and disconnected with modern life.

Welcome to life after indestructible, unstoppable youth.

I remember my
grandmother refusing to use a hand calculator and I thought "how silly".

I still don't get the real reason why Wendell Berry won't use a computer. Did your grandmother ever talk to him? Otherwise, the best I can cipher is that he's a crappy typist and is too embarrassed to admit it. So he scribbles and Tanya types. Who did your grandmother's computations?

I'm not laughing anymore. Does anyone else feel this way or am I just
alone, isolated and really out of touch with the world?

Are you serious? We geezers love it when another smart aleck youngster finally feels life after invincibility. We are validified. Relax. Look forward to grandparenthood. Use the negatives as excuses. Or at least rationalizations.

Meanwhile, note that biking was preceded by walking. Need a higher pulse rate? Walk uphill. Choose angle of grade as desired.