homestead - Re: [Homestead] Feeling really stupid and old

  • From: "Lynn Wigglesworth" <lynnw AT chilitech.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Feeling really stupid and old
  • Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2006 17:38:57 -0400

From: "SISU!" <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
I felt like a technologically impaired moron having to get
> a lesson on how to use a cell phone. What's worse, I had to drive my
> neighbors almost new F350 truck...a honkin' monster of a diesel truck
> with all the bells and whistles. I was totally out of my element.

Hey Bev; I had to drive someone's new F250 diesel a while ago. I couldn't
even get it started. Who knew you had to put on the brake to turn the key?
(well *I* didn't know...I finally figured it out). I drive a 1989 F-150.
Turn the key and it starts. Put it in D and it drives.

I don't own a cell phone and hate them...the sound quality is so awful,
they pick up all sorts of outside noises. Besides, I don't want people to
be able to track me down in the bathroom or out in the barn. I've managed
50 years without one.

I can't afford to replace things as they break down, so the world is
starting to pass me by. I'm just an old Luddite. Besides, think of the
money these things suck out of your pocket. New truck with $???/month
payment, cell phone at $??/month, cable modem, cable TV (108 stations of
time-wasting shows), even caller ID costs extra $$. I don't need those
things. I'm trying to avoid trading my life force (what did Scott Nearing
call it?) to someone else so I can have more 'things'. I may have to work
part time to pay the mortgage on the farm and pay for my new fence, but
those 'things' are worth it to me.

Lynn Wigglesworth
Peasant Farmer
Tioga County, PA