homestead - Re: [Homestead] Feeling really stupid and old

  • From: Bill Jones <billj AT harborside.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Feeling really stupid and old
  • Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2006 17:10:11 -0700

SISU! wrote:

I'm 45 years old.
Now wait a minute. I'm used to always being the youngest, but I'll be 47 soon. THIS CAN'T BE.

I've never used a cell phone. I don't talk on the phone, except at one time of day, and occasionally for other reasons. I've also never played a video game.

Last year, however, I designed and implemented a complex computer system to guide students step-by-step through algebra problems. And the other day, I invented the ultimate way of pumping water, and estimated the efficiency of the device in my head just a while ago (more to come on that).

So who cares, if you're not up on that mountain bike planning complex gear shifting patterns, or memorizing the handbook for your "blackberry". We both know that if it mattered at all in real life how many zogs you could shoot down in imaginary land, you'd be a Sega master in no time.

It gives me strength to think of Plato's allegory of the cave. He thought of humanity as people imprisoned behind a sheet lit from the other side, upon which only shadows of real life fall, like an Indonesian shadow puppet drama. As homesteaders we step from behind the veil, and see things as they really are. I wouldn't trade all the gadgets in the world for that.

Bill