homestead - Re: [Homestead] used tractors

  • From: Don Bowen <don.bowen AT earthlink.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] used tractors
  • Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2006 10:17:37 -0700

At 9/14/2006, you wrote:
What would $2000 buy me in the way of a used tractor? A far as
implements go, I would like a front end loader and a bushhog.

There are a couple of things you should be aware of in older tractors. Older is something say early 60s and older. Few were set up for a front end loader, the front ends are not nearly strong enough. There are exceptions to this as some industrial versions have much stronger front ends. This is not something that ne easily modified, if you see one with a modified front end, turn it down.

Another point is that few older tractors have a live PTO. Most have the PTO running off the same clutch as the rest of the drive train. What this means that something like a brush hog can continue to drive the tractor even with the clutch depressed. You can get an overriding clutch to install on the PTO shaft and some brush hogs come equipped with one. I can tell you from personal experience that a spinning brush hog can drive you a long ways.

I no longer know prices but I would look for Massey Ferguson or International, from the 60s.

Don Bowen Awl Knotted Up KI6DIU
http://www.braingarage.com
My travel journal

I am omnivagant.