homestead - Re: [Homestead] used tractors

  • From: "Lisa K.V. Perry" <lisakvperry AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] used tractors
  • Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2006 22:44:20 -0400

On 9/15/06, NVW55V <r_s_banks AT yahoo.com> wrote:

ONLY buy a walk-behind if you are already a practicing
fitness freak and pain addict.

Hey! I resemble that comment.

--- mark rousseau <markrousseau AT yahoo.com> wrote:

> Not sure if this was mentioned but Could renting a
> walk behind mower for a weekend work?
> This would let you know real fast if the walkbehind
> solution would work.

Ideally, I'd love to share ownership with another family or three or four in
a good, used tractor. We have friends that live in a small 'community' of
several families. They co-own a tractor. They take turn using it and share
in the expense and upkeep. We've thought of this idea, there are probably
a dozen families within a 2 mi. radius, but they all own tractors. In the
past, we hired out one of our neighbors to bush hog our fields at $30/hr.
The last time we hired him, his price jumped to $40/hr. It took him 6 hours
and we began thinking that we needed to do something on our own at $240 a
pop. We figured if we hired him more than 2x a year, we'd be making a dent
in the price of our own machine over time. Perhaps that's still
inexpensive. Even at $500/year for just bush hogging twice (ideally we'd do
it 4x per year--spring, early summer, late summer, fall) it would take
probably at least 7 years, but perhaps as many as 8 or 9 years to come close
to paying for a good, used tractor.

Lisa