homestead - Re: [Homestead] used tractors

  • From: "SISU!" <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] used tractors
  • Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2006 16:00:29 -0400

Lisa K.V. Perry wrote:

We do the same kinds of things with our '89 Jeep, drive it into the
woods where we can and haul logs back down to the house to chainsaw
and cut into firewood.

Yup, same here..but we are often limited as to where my truck can go.
It's not a 4WD, so it's use is limited.

This is exactly what we've been doing. Our oldest son has been
begging for a riding lawn mower. We tell him since he quit playing
soccer, mowing the lawn the 'old-fashioned' way with a push mower is
darn good exercise. When he leaves home, or if he leaves home, that
leaves son #2 who will be about the right age for his turn.
Eventually, when it comes down to my husband and I again, maybe by
then we'll have invested or upgraded to something that doesn't take
all day, a sore back and sore wrists to work.

No more kids at home here, and even when I did have TJ here, we had a
garden tractor, so he had it made, relatively speaking.

My Grandpa Van Meter had an old John Deere that worked great. But my
aunt, who has very little need for a tractor, took it back to her
house in coastal flat-land NC after the farm was sold. It occupies
space in their garage. I think they've used it twice in six years.

Ah! That's heartwrenching.

The only concern I have with something that is walk behind, like the DR,
is simply that...walking a 9 or 10 acre pasture would be exhausting and
take several days to mow. It would be hard on my hips since the ground
is so rocky.
Oh well...back to work...

Bev

--
Bevanron in NW Georgia EarthNSky Farm 34.498N 85.076W
SISU! (Finnish--There is no single word in English that encompasses