homestead - Re: [Homestead] Harpie visit

  • From: Bevanron <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Harpie visit
  • Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2006 16:27:22 -0400

Lynn Wigglesworth wrote:

Hi Bev (and all my old friends whom I haven't talked to in a long time); Your son went into the military, didn't he? How's he doing?

TJ has been in the Navy for 2 years now. He is up in your neck of the
woods at Saratoga Springs, NY, living in an apartment there, stationed
at Ballston Spa through late August. He is in the last of his nuclear
schools, working on a prototype nuclear reactor, learning to be a
reactor operator. He loves the Navy but he is stressed at the moment
with his 18+ hour days. When he graduates in August, he has put in for
fast attack subs and to be stationed at Pearl Harbor, Guam, or San
Diego, in that order. Unfortunately, the Navy is building the GHW Bush
over in Norfolk, and he is worried that he might get stationed there
instead of sub duty. He does NOT want to be on a carrier, especially
one that will be in port for the next year or so. He is also hoping to
be picked up by the Navy's STA-21 Nuclear option program in early 2007:
https://www.sta-21.navy.mil/edu.html
If he does that, he will go to Auburn University(probably-he has a
choice of 17 schools-see link) to earn a degree in Nuclear Engineering,
then on to Officer Candidate School. His chances look good at present
because his grades are high and he has done well. He is talking about
putting in 20 years, then retiring to work as an engineer. He wants to
make nuclear power a safer alternative for the future. Because he
joined at 17 and is only 19 now, he could retire from the Navy at 37,
with plenty of years left for a second career. :)

And your
daughter moved in with some guy you didn't like? Did that work out?

Well, whether or not it is working out is a matter of opinion. If you
ask her, yes, it's working. They got married last October. :(
Her husband is still a lazy slug and SOB and for the most part, Kate
supports him. She has been working for a teaching veterinary hospital
for over a year now and loves it. She's taking courses online, going to
seminars to study parasitology and veterinary medicine, and hopefully
she will be heading back to college in the Fall. The vets she works for
have been very supportive of her continuing education, unlike her
husband. She has become somewhat of a star at the hospital as she has
moved up quickly in responsibility, and is the only one at the entire
hospital that is fluent in Spanish. She is also starting a sideline
business of painting animal portraits for the clients. She's happy and
seems on track, but I worry about her getting pregnant and having Jon
forever in my life and forever in hers... I just don't see this marriage
as one that will last. But anyway...

I'm
glad that you and Ron are finally getting to take trips together.

That comes with a price tag, though. I had to sell the goats and sheep.
I still miss my goats, but I don't miss the sheep. I do miss the lamb
in the freezer though...I think we only have one leg of lamb left.

I NEED a business partner...a salesman (er, person...but I'd prefer a
man :-)) with a head for business. I'm divorced now...my ex couldn't
stand the fresh air and sunshine of country life any more so he
moved back to the city and I divorced him.

Well, I know you and Brian tried hard to make things work. I hope he is
happier now and not as depressed. I know things must have been tough
for you, but I also know that for many months, you needed some
resolution to the problems as it seemed to me that you were stuck
between staying married and getting a divorce. I hope the kids are okay
with the arrangements. Knowing your situation gave me a lot of strength
during some hard times in my own marriage last year. I thought, well,
if Lynn can do it.... :)

I'm trying (still) to make the farm into a
business. Now I depend on succeeding, or I'll have to go out and get a REAL job (ack!). The beef business is doing well, but the market garden part isn't. I can grow wonderful heirloom vegetables, but can't sell 'em. We started a new Farmers' Market, but it's not up to speed yet with attracting customers..and I need a lot of steady customers to make a living farming.

Sorry to hear that. Have you thought anymore about adding goats into
the mix, or are you done with milkers?

Bev
--
erthnsky AT bellsouth.net BevanRon of EarthNSky Farm NW Georgia USDA Zone 7
34.498N 85.076W