homestead - Re: [Homestead] Harpie visit

  • From: Keith B <bartermn AT epix.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Harpie visit
  • Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2006 08:27:04 -0400

First I want to congratulate you on your hatchlings. We've only had one hen give us chicks in twenty years of raising them. Several have gone broody for days but I think it's a matter of them needing more privacy than a nesting box in a coop full of other old hens. The one that did sit long enough had them outside, under the coop where I couldn't reach her.

Bevanron wrote:

Why are you not raising pigs at your own place?

The pigpen is full of tools. It is the only place in the barn that I could lock up from two-footed predators.

Our son is still "camping" in the house (in my new office) after returning home, "for a couple months" two years ago.

LOL! Does he help you out at all? How old is he now?

Scott is 30. Yeah, he will help if I ask. The problem is that he works nights and sleeps days. He just finished a CD cover for some band in California.

We are also working on various home repair projects-the floor, the
bathroom, kitchen countertops, etc., but they have taken a back seat to
Ron's canoe obsession. He is also building a telescope, so the house is
getting low priority right now, much to my dissatisfaction.

Haha, that may be why Gin isn't more interested in my converting the barn to a woodshop; I would be there all the time. Do you help Ron in the shop?

What kind of countertop did you order?
Have you checked with a Habitat ReStore for possible materials?
http://www.re-store.com/locator/index.php
Habitat for Humanity resells some donated goods in various stores around
the country. You might find some deals.

It's a simple post-form top but the lumberyard misplaced the order and it took two weeks before they noticed. It should be in sometime this week. Yes, we checked out Habitat ReStore in Binghamton, NY, looking for a clawfoot tub. They didn't have one and not much else that we could use either. Maybe the bigger cities have more.