homestead - Re: [Homestead] Organic and us

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT softcom.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Organic and us
  • Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2006 15:09:06 -0700

One of the reasons we choose where we did when we bought this place was because you can't get here from there. With "there" being about anywhere else in the world! The valley is or can be completely self-contained. Almost everyone here is self-sufficient!

Hey, don't knock the ranch dressing <g> We love it but not at the salad bar. Homemade, organic of course <g> Just slap some buttermilk and mayo together (1/2 and 1/2). Add a little pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, a dab of celery salt and some dill. Whisk it together, set it in the fridge to meld and voila you have ranch dressing!

Lynda
----- Original Message ----- From: "Bevanron" <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>

Amen to that!
And then, when SHTF, they will want to take what we have worked long and
hard for instead of doing for themselves. This is a consumerist world,
and homesteaders and those who are more self sufficient than 90% of the
population will be "consumed" and disposed of as if they were a Big Mac.
I'll never forget how during one of the early episodes of Survivor the
contestants were given like 4 hens and a rooster and they ate the hens
instead of eating the rooster and collecting the eggs. Most people have
no knowledge whatsoever-even what we would consider basic knowledge-of
anything rural.