homestead - Re: [Homestead] Organic and us

  • From: Clansgian AT wmconnect.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Organic and us
  • Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2006 21:04:14 EDT

Bev:

> And then, when SHTF, they will want to take what we have worked long and
> hard for instead of doing for themselves.

I've though much about this, and you are right, it has been a touchy subject
on this list at times. We live pretty far out from even our modest sized
cities and we are on a mountainside that is accessible only by means of a
narrow
hollow (our road frontage) which opens up in only three places a couple of
miles apart. That is, you can't sneak up on us.

But much more than that, my opinion about the ability of the average American
to survive even a minor inconvenience (like no electricity) is far, far
poorer than even what Bev has described. For anybody to walk out here they
would
need several days' rations. Anybody sorry enough to want to come out here to
steal what we have would be so sorry they'd sit on their behind and eat the
rations before they started. It would take a plan and some gumption to
successfully plunder this hollow. What would likely show up would be
sickly, half
starved would be plunderers who could be easily turned aside.

And what if they did make it here with enough fight left in them? They'd
find barrels of corn, goats on the hoof, hives of bees, potatoes and turnips
cached in the ground, etc. What are they going to do with it?

It's a grim thing, but when the SHTF I rather expect people will huddle into
the cities and expect to be fed something. And perhaps they will, some gruel
to eat in their sort of half-existence.