homestead - Re: [Homestead] Organic and us

  • From: Clansgian AT wmconnect.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Organic and us
  • Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2006 21:17:12 EDT

Lynda:

> And, do you really think you can guide the sheople to do anything that
> makes
> sense and isn't handed to them on a platter?

Of course I don't. I was fantisizing out loud. You are all too correct,
more's the pity.

People will build cavernous McMansions until the last cubic foot of natural
gas to heat it is gone. They will pump the last drop of affordable gasoline
into a land yatch SUV. They will feed the last bushel of corn to a hog
somewhere. With darkness fast approaching we have lit the candle at both
ends and the
middle.

-------------------------------

As to the compost, I forget sometimes that I live on Ludite Acres and others
don't. Denise was asked if any of her cheese was for sale (which would be
illegal anyway) and her reply was "No, it's far too much trouble to make,
we're
eating it all ourselves." I suppose I've come to view compost that way. I
think I'd have anxiety attacks if any of it left the farm. I greedily want
more,
more, more of it. But it's hard won on this farm.

Did you ever see the flick The Field (Richard Harris as "Bull" McCabe)? It
opens with him and his son donning baskets of seaweed on their backs and
climbing a cliff and as they reach the summit, you see his three acres bright
emerald green agaisnt the surrounding grey with piles of seaweed in various
stages
of decomposition over the field. It's somewhat like that here.

I suppose someone could make a go of selling compost. Probably most people
interested in the compost, though, are already doing the same. I don't think
myself could abide it.