homestead - Re: [Homestead] Organic and us

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Organic and us
  • Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2006 08:00:18 -0500

> Personally, I would not want compost made of yard waste.

Because of the chemicals??

Yes. Lawn chemicals are very big business. While some chemicals break down and are benign, others persist in the soil for a long time. They might be okay under fruit trees but I would not want compost that contained them in my garden beds.

In Phoenix I could have had unlimited yard waste and golf course clippings. Chemicals dominated the decision process. Urbanites, like farmers, have become indoctrinated by Ortho and other chemical queens. See that bad patch of grass in your perfect lawn? Here's a "product" that will fix it. "Read entire directions before using." We don't want a lawsuit over Fifi.