homestead - Re: [Homestead] Organic and us

  • From: "Marie McHarry" <mmcharry AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Organic and us
  • Date: Sun, 18 Jun 2006 10:58:59 -0500

On 6/18/06, Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com> wrote:

Marie, surely you are much too young to remember that far back!

Okay, Smarty, I read about someone who did the work probably in the
'30s. I can't remember what I did yesterday though I wasn't born until
after the war when being shot at had finally softened Dad up enough
that he considered matrimony.

Perhaps you are thinking of Edward Faulkner, who published Plowman's
Folly in 1943. Before Faulkner, F.H. King published Farmers of Forty
Centuries, which included information on how the Chinese used no-till methods.

That sounds right.

When my father was farming, he rotated crops and spread lime and ran
cattle on stalks. He always said that putting a field in alfalfa was
good for several years of corn and beans. Nowadays, putting a field in
alfalfa is an investment, and it's hard to find good hay around here,
especially since farmer's seem to feed their cattle mainly waterway
grass. It's a pity that alfalfa doesn't work well in waterways....

Thanks for the names. It's always nice to know that I didn't just make stuff
up.

Marie