homestead - Re: [Homestead] Organic and us

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT softcom.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Organic and us
  • Date: Sun, 18 Jun 2006 11:14:33 -0700

So, maybe here's a golden opportunity for someone with some land to go into business and become a compost farm. Collect all the stuff you list, contact local ranches for what they take out of the barns and then do massive rows of compost that you could ultimately load into a belly dump to cart to the farms. Contract with even one big corporate farm and you'd more than make enough money to make it worth your while.

Lynda
----- Original Message ----- From: <Clansgian AT wmconnect.com>

I don't suggest a remedy for it. I don't see one, only that we can
recognize, and bring up when it is apropos, that home grown food on composted soils is
not going to be the same thing as the organic section of Wal-Mart.

Yes, that's the only way in a sort of absolute sense. But in areas where we
haven't crowded ourselves to distraction, there are other sources of organic
material that can make up for the 'night soil' and other losses. For
example, here there are abundant forests. "Robbing" a bit of organic material here
and there, leaf mold, rotted stumps, pine needles, creek silt, etc, doesn't do
the forest overall much harm but greatly increases the fertility of our modest
plots. Also there are tree trimmings from the power company, grass
clippings, municipal leaf collections, seaweed (not here, but some places), old hay,
corn stover, and such.