homestead - Re: [Homestead] refrigerators

  • From: Bevanron <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] refrigerators
  • Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2006 18:24:38 -0400

VAN DELL JORDAN wrote:

Bev, When I moved I left my old refrigerator, and when buying a
replacement, only looked at new. The reason is I understand that the
new refrigeration is so efficient that is one of the only things you
can save money by buying new instead of less expensive used, or maybe
even cheaper than continuing to use the existing one. Or have I been
brainwashed by the appliance industry?...

I don't know....with some things, newer is better, and with others,
older is better. Take automobiles...
Today "good gas mileage" is like 25 mpg or something like that.
Twenty five years ago, good gas mileage would have been 35 mpg.
Also, IMO, R12 cools better than R134A in a car AC, but the latter is
supposed to be more eco-friendly. I don't know about the freons in
refrigerators. But newer is not *always* better in all respects.
I'd be interested in learning more and seeing objective comparisons for
refrigerator refrigerants and technology old and new. Anyone know where
to find that info?

Bev
--
erthnsky AT bellsouth.net BevanRon of EarthNSky Farm NW Georgia USDA Zone 7
34.498N 85.076W