homestead - [Homestead] Propane versus electric

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Homestead] Propane versus electric
  • Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2006 08:26:31 -0500

Propane is way too expensive AND the cost of propane anything is double to triple the cost of the plain old electric. You can get propane fridges and
freezers from most propane suppliers.

If the cost of running them is the main criteria AND you don't mind doing
the ice removal every so often, go with an Energy Star that isn't frost
free. Second is an Energy Star that is frost free and last on your list
will be propane.

All good advice. Let us not swing the brush too wide, however. Propane is a better choice than electric for heating appliances. Plus, if your propane tank is large enough you are immune to electric outages.

I have long wanted a large propane tank. Got one last fall; it holds a thousand gallons. I will now refill it once per year at the time that propane is least expensive. Electric outages will not affect my ability to heat water, cook, heat the house. I have an RV fridge that is three-way, twelve volt, 120 volt, and propane. It is small but a good backup for when big storms knock out the electric. We were once without electricity for six or seven days.

If I relied on electric for anything I would either have redundancy or a good generator.