homestead - Re: [Homestead] Propane versus electric

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT SOFTCOM.NET>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Propane versus electric
  • Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2006 12:38:44 -0700

Check who pays for those surveys. Induction is the most efficient at 90%. Electric at 60%. Gas, in the ideal world, at 50% and that would be your old stove or the millionaires only Wolfs, etc. What they don't note is that most of the heat from gas, 2/3 in most cases, goes up in the air, particularly in ovens where it leaves via venting since you have to vent gas and don't have to vent electric. You loose all of your efficiency (the supposed "instant" heat) by local area loss.

And, like I said, cooking with electric has a big learning curve and some folks are never comfortable with it.

Also, as I said, electric is cleaner. Burning gas is a dirty business and your walls and ceiling will attest to that. I, personally, hate having to clean the gas guck off ceilings and walls and inside the vents, etc. And, I personally, like being able to actually have a burner that will do a real simmer for things like Noni's old-fashioned, traditional spaghetti sauce.

Lynda
----- Original Message ----- From: "Gene GeRue" <genegerue AT ruralize.com>

Electric is far more efficient than propane AND cleaner!

Are you serious? Do a quick Google and read the comparisons.