homestead - Re: [Homestead] Organic and us

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Organic and us
  • Date: Sun, 18 Jun 2006 09:14:17 -0500

If the term 'compost' is used to describe decaying organic matter in the
garden, whether it was originally in a compost bin, dug into the ground, sheet composted, or added as mulch; then I'd say compost IS the only way to grow organic food by the first above definition.

Most large operators cannot economically produce as we home gardeners do. The best they can do, and it is a good way, is to plant a cover crop that produces a large amount of plant material, and then at the appropriate time disc that into the soil.

We organic purists are unfair to the huge food producers. We can afford our attitude because food is abundant. If food were scarce or high-priced, then we would forgive any procedure that filled our bellies and/or cost less at the checkout counter. I think agribusiness could operate with fewer pesticides, but disappearing profits will not a crop get planted.

It is a conundrum. Nutrients out require nutrients in. Sun and rain are the only free ingredients of consequence. Mineral depletion must be countered with mineral addition. Nitrogen, phosphorous and potash are essential and if consumer health is reckoned in, then micro-nutrients are also essential. The only way to return to the soil that which leaves the farm as produce would be to do as the Chinese: sell concessions to collect city night soil and bring it back to the farm as fertilizer. The yuck factor precludes that today in our grand country. So we spend inordinate amounts of tax dollars on making sewage clean enough to send back into the ground or waterways and spend even larger amounts of wealth to feed the soil with chemicals. Such a system is unsustainable and is unhealthy for the soil and for the people.