homestead - Re: [Homestead] Split rail fencing and rice...wasOld homesteadfriends

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT softcom.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Split rail fencing and rice...wasOld homesteadfriends
  • Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2006 18:43:25 -0700

We only used that area because it was already terraced. We figured that someone must have known what they were doing. This has been a real learning experience. I am used to a climate where we could grow veggies 365 days of the year. Now we have a growing season of 90 to 120 days max. Snow or hard frost isn't unknow as late as mid-June or as early as September. So, the other area, it turns out, isn't ideal in the amount of sun it gets either.

We noticed that the fruit trees seem "ill." So, I wandered down to the garden area and it was a bog. So, the three of us each grabbed a few trees and transplanted them up on the second level and it was like we gave them a mega dose of vitamines.

Since it is already fenced, and it is growing a ton of clover, orchard grass, wild rye and wild oats, we're heading off to the auction next week to pick up some bummer lambs and turn them out to fatten up. They can mow it down and get fat and sassy and then we'll have some yummy lamb chops and BBQ'd riblets! Waste not, want not <g>

If you try the rice, be sure and send in a report!

Which reminds me, has anyone tried growing wild rice? The youngest loves it and says she wants to give it a try since they are growing it in the neighboring two counties. There is an area by our seasonal creek that would make a good permanent bog and where she could divert water from our other creek to keep it bog-like all year.

Lynda
----- Original Message ----- From: "Bevanron" <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>

Hmmm. It almost sounds like you have some kind of gypsum or clay layer
under the surface. have you trenched out an area to see if you can
determine the problem?
I had a neighbor that tried to grow a garden on her side yard, but had a
similar problem with standing pools of water when it rained. They dug
down and discovered a construction pit complete with about a dumptruck
load of roofing shingles. They dug out the shingles and other crap,
backfilled the hole, and voila, problem solved.

Bev

--
erthnsky AT bellsouth.net BevanRon of EarthNSky Farm NW Georgia USDA Zone 7
34.498N 85.076W