homestead - Re: [Homestead] Split rail fencing and rice...was Old homesteadfriends

  • From: Bevanron <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Split rail fencing and rice...was Old homesteadfriends
  • Date: Wed, 07 Jun 2006 19:15:09 -0400

Lynda wrote:

Well, a little history. DH is a city boy, born and raised outside Boston. The country to him was going to a park <g> It has taken years and baby steps to get him into "real" country.

Isn't that an amazing process to watch?
Ron was never exposed to the country or farming or camping or anything like that either. He originally opposed our move to the country. I think he only did it to appease me and to get to dark skies so he could get a nice telescope. He had never fired a gun, never operated a chainsaw or anything like that when we moved here, but he learned fast and he liked all the new "toys". He liked having a real workshop, and of course, he ended up liking the outdoors as much as I do. He learned to hunt and butcher animals and found that he was good at it.

It has been a real interesting process
to see him now scavenge and not waste anything and complain when he sees people throwing "perfectly good stuff. I could have used that to . . . ."

Well, if he has this epiphany, he has made the transition, IMO.

The weather and land here is WEIRD! It is dry in the extreme! No humidity to speak of even in the winter. So these "soggy" spots really surprised us. In the summer it is dust dry but given a little rain it becomes a bog. Most peculiar but we are getting used to peculiar <g>

Hmmm. It almost sounds like you have some kind of gypsum or clay layer under the surface. have you trenched out an area to see if you can determine the problem?
I had a neighbor that tried to grow a garden on her side yard, but had a similar problem with standing pools of water when it rained. They dug down and discovered a construction pit complete with about a dumptruck load of roofing shingles. They dug out the shingles and other crap, backfilled the hole, and voila, problem solved.

Bev

--
erthnsky AT bellsouth.net BevanRon of EarthNSky Farm NW Georgia USDA Zone 7
34.498N 85.076W