homestead - Re: [Homestead] Old homestead friends

  • From: Bevanron <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Old homestead friends
  • Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2006 15:25:12 -0400

Great to hear from YOU!
Wow, a lot really has happened in your life. I recall looking at the
well digging pics from your El Salvador homestead....seems like an
eternity ago. If you have some more recent pics, I would love to see
them. How much land do you have in VA? At least there, you will
probably have an easier time developing the property.
One of the reasons I was looking for you a while back was because I
remembered that you are the guy that knows bananas...LOL...I am looking
for a banana cultivar that might work in my climate with some
protection. I was thinking about getting 'Texas Star', but wanted to
check with you before I laid out the big bucks and made plans.
To refresh your memory, I live in NW Georgia, zone 7a. I think I can
keep a tree alive by mulching it extensively and building a windbreak
around it to the north and west sides. I have this whacky idea to use
pallets to create a 4' square compost pile to grow the tree in, and then
use additional pallets on the north and west sides as a windbreak. For
the windbreak, I would drive long pieces of conduit in the ground and
then drop the pallets (probably 2 high at first, then maybe 3 high as
the tree grows)) eventually creating a 12' tall windbreak for the banana
tree. During the fall, I would surround the tree with leaves and mulch
to insulate it from the cold. Our winters have been rather mild, and I
could always cover the whole shebang with clear plastic if we got down
to single digits.
So, what advice do you have for growing bananas for me?

Bev

Robert Walton wrote:

Hey Bev,

I get in here are read seriously once in a while. What a blast from the past to hear from you. I was a much younger guy last time :>)

I still have the homestead in El Salvador, I spend most of the late 90s on that. Decided that I wanted to have a place here, too. Went back to the city (Miami area) made some $$, bought a place in Virginia, quit the job and moved here last year. Now, I am starting all over.

Decided that going between a place in Central America and here is not
really practical on a homesteaders budget, so have the place in El Salvador on the market.

Too bad Gene doesn't practice real estate there. I'd make a killing :>)

Anyway, getting settled in here in Lunenburg County, Va. Working a computer support job to make money to build fences. How things change
and stay the same! Great to hear from you!

Rob in Va

Rob Walton....I was looking for you a while back. What ever happened in Central America? El Salvador was it? Don, I guess you are still traveling? How are you? James and Denise...still contrary in Tennessee?

Bev