homestead - Re: [Homestead] Grease gun recommendations?

  • From: Don Bowen <don.bowen AT earthlink.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Grease gun recommendations?
  • Date: Wed, 07 Jun 2006 04:11:23 -0700

At 6/6/2006, you wrote:
The grease gun air pockets have been a constant irritation. The
manufacturer instructions say to engage the follower, unscrew the
body up to a full turn and let the plunger push the air out. Hah!
After doing that several times with no change I highly desire a
direct line to the president of the company.

How old is the grease? If it is old and stiff, it will be very difficult to remove the air pockets. I have fought this problem for close to 60 years with no real solution. Whacking the end of the gun on the ground with the bleed open can sometimes help but at other times you need to take the pump end off to get the air pocket out.

The solutions that sometimes work are:
Make sure the grease is mostly fresh and not stiff and old.
Make sure there are no dents in the cartridge to slow plunger travel.
As suggested thump the end on the ground to drive the air pocket out.

The best solution so far is to use an air powered grease gun but that is a "mostly works" option.

Don Bowen Awl Knotted Up KI6DIU
http://www.braingarage.com

My travel journal