homestead - Re: [Homestead] Old homestead friends

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT softcom.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Old homestead friends
  • Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2006 13:25:53 -0700

Hello, Bev. Good to see you here too!

Let's see, we bought 12 acres and moved up to the Trinity Alps. Last winter was the pits and we lost a lot of trees but DH is putting them to good use and we now have 3 acres with split rail fencing.

I had to move my garden. The original space turns out to have a lot of sitting water spots and we would have had to put in french drains to dry it out. Surprise, surprise. Now we know why the space had been abandoned as a garden by the last folks! So now I'm up on the 2nd tier and putting in raised beds. The fruit trees are happy with the move and by next year we should have grapes on the vines we put in. We've eaten all the strawberries this year (the last are dessert tonight) and will put in more for next year so there will be enough to make jam.

We just finished remodeling the kitchen We didn't look close enough when we bought and later discovered the woman had painted the kitchen sink. Found that out when I went to clean it one day and it peeled off in my hands. What was underneath was UGLY! AND she had rinky dinked the stove piping together (one burner blew up). So, new counters, new sink, new stove. Next is new flooring! This stuff is soooo ugly. It is a project we are saving when it is too hot this summer to work outside.

Youngest, and last at home kidlet is learning to quilt. Her baking skills have gotten to the advanced stage and she made a Black Forest cake a few weeks ago. She used a traditional German recipe which makes for a real light cake but uses a ton of eggs! She wants to tackle sourdough bread next.

All in all, we are busy, busy, busy!

Lynda
----- Original Message ----- From: "Bevanron" <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>

Looking through the archives, I see that some of my old friends are here
but haven't jumped up to say hi...
(((WENDY!!!!))) How the heck are ya??
Rob Walton....I was looking for you a while back. What ever happened in
Central America? El Salvador was it?
Don, I guess you are still traveling? How are you?
James and Denise...still contrary in Tennessee? ;)
Bill, Jerry, Lynda...
And Barterman and Chris Clarke, I couldn't forget you guys, either!
Is Dan Settles still around?
Chris Hedemark?
Lee? What's up with you? Need more bamboo? ;)
Come on people, catch me up on what's going on in your lives!
I'm sure I'm omitting a lot of folks...sorry...just chime in people
whether I named you or not. I know I have seen a lot of life changes
since the mid 90's, how about you?