homestead - Re: [Homestead] Chicken moat, was Harpie visit

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Chicken moat, was Harpie visit
  • Date: Tue, 06 Jun 2006 13:12:39 -0500

Ray: I never had a problem as severe as this, but I found that a blowgun worked at keeping a large dog out of my property several years ago. I did have to be up early, and waited on a couple of fruitless vigils, but after the third dart in his butt, the dog never came back. The owners questioned me once, but pleading innocence (or ignorance) works.

Guns of any sort require witnessing the deed. If the killing is at night I guess I would secure all my animals except one in a coop that the dog could get into via a way that held two traps wired together. It is humane to kill an animal with a broken leg.