homestead - Re: [Homestead] Chicken moat, was Harpie visit

  • From: Bevanron <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Chicken moat, was Harpie visit
  • Date: Tue, 06 Jun 2006 14:55:28 -0400

Gene GeRue wrote:

I like the design. Hadn't thought to use metal for garden bed sides.
How long has it had earth contact? Suspect the issue ultimately will
be weakening by rust.

I built the beds over the winter this year. The metal siding is heavy
duty stuff that is painted white. It's not like roofing tin. We
inherited the pile of siding with the property and we used some of it
when we built the milkroom a few years back, but there's plenty left and
it was just laying there creating it's own little snake habitat. It's
been laying on the ground on the edge of the back pasture for the 8
years we have lived here, and no sign of rust yet. I hope to build more
raised beds this summer and fall using the rest of the siding. I call
it property beautification and utilization of accumulated resources.
I've got some pictures of the beds if anyone wants to see them. We used
a cedar post frame and screwed the siding into the frame.

They have wire in the bottom, then about 8-10 inches of rocks, then
decaying sticks and wood, then waste hay and compost on the top.
All have the wire and rocks, some only have waste hay with no wood
and some are not top dressed with composted soil (yet).

Sounds perfect. You probably got the idea from me. Ahem.

You know, I have practiced composting in place and lasagna gardening
style and planting directly in mulch for so many years, to me, it's a
proven method.

The only disadvantages I can think of are difficult human entry and the hens will have to stretch toward the outside edge to get the weeds. Should be entertaining to watch.

It's not going to be perfect, I know.

Why is that dog still alive?

<sigh> Because I am an animal lover and I am weak, I suppose.

I did not count on that, but it is happening, so that adds to the
flock population, too. (BTW, if I have observed correctly, those
eggs should hatch tomorrow or the next day)

So eat some of the others.

I would rather sell them...I can get $6-8, maybe $10 for a pullet hen.

Great. As long as you have room to expand, then do this first part as
well as possible and don't worry about reducing garden space. Btw, when I laid out my first garden, of sixteen four-by-sixteen beds--too
many--I alternated the path width two feet and then four feet, so I
could run the garden cart or wheelbarrow along at least one side of
each bed. Worked well. I now have much wider paths and I mow them. Wider paths and narrower beds have worked for me. Age persuades for less bending and less reaching.

Me, too, which is why I don't want to go with the 6 foot moat. That
would only leave me 2 feet of space to get to that side of the raised
bed. That's hardly enough room for the weedeater, let alone a mower.
I think I may make future raised beds only 3 feet wide instead of 4,
too. Still debating that one.

I have no experience with that. My garden area is clean all around with mowed grass. No vines allowed except boysenberries in a bed on trellis. Do your hens actually eat the vines or eat the leaves to weaken the vines?

If the vines are green, they are toast. Once they get woody, the
chickens only eat the leaves. With persistent picking, the vine dies.

Bev

--
erthnsky AT bellsouth.net BevanRon of EarthNSky Farm NW Georgia USDA Zone 7
34.498N 85.076W