homestead - Re: [Homestead] Raised beds, was Chicken moat,

  • From: Bevanron <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Raised beds, was Chicken moat,
  • Date: Wed, 07 Jun 2006 12:14:00 -0400

My biggest headache this year are my own ducks(and the neighbor's dog,
of course, and snakes...lol. I lost all but one duck last year to Hobo;
At the start of Spring, I only had one Cayuga drake. As you may
recall, I have a weakness for ducklings, so I bought two little Pekins
back in March to keep my drake company. Once they were feathered out, I
put them inside the garden fence to protect them. I have never had a
problem with ducks eating my vegetables before this year, but these two,
Marca and Amelia (long story on the names..named after Marco Polo and
Amelia Earhart for their propensity to go off on journeys and get
lost<g>) decided that my beans were pretty tasty. Because I did not
have enough raised beds, I had planted corn, beans, tomatillos, and
tomatoes in the ground directly. They left everything alone but the
beans, watermelons, and butternut squashes, which they totally
eradicated. So I had to replant beans in Bed #1 which was Spring crops
originally, and I have put the ducks outside the fence in another area
now that they are grown. Luckily, I had extra watermelon transplants
and yesterday, I replanted them in the original hills.(Moon and Stars,
in case anyone cares) Speaking of Moon, where is Moon these days? I did
not have any butternut transplants left to stick in the ground, so I
guess I just won't have any of those this year. :(
Having 2 foot tall raised beds eliminates the problem with grazing ducks. :)

Bev

Gene GeRue wrote:

Communication is fun.

I wish there were no moles here. Two tomato plants here have recently
been saved just in time by serious watering and poking of hose into root zone to move soil into the void created by the little devils.

I wish someone made razor wire cloth.

--
erthnsky AT bellsouth.net BevanRon of EarthNSky Farm NW Georgia USDA Zone 7
34.498N 85.076W