homestead - Re: [Homestead] Raised beds, was Chicken moat,

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Raised beds, was Chicken moat,
  • Date: Wed, 07 Jun 2006 08:38:18 -0500

The first bed went up so easily that we made a second, then a third
boxed bed. I ran out of scrap wire for the bottoms, otherwise I would
have kept going.

Scrap wire? Perhaps I assumed incorrectly that the bottom wire was to exclude gophers and moles. I used quarter-inch hardware cloth in my ferrocement bed. Those who find it difficult to recycle glass containers might smash the glass down there and then add a thick layer of stone and gravel.